Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Debut

Having recently entered my twenties, I’ve taken some time to reflect on the last few years of my life and think about how I want to make the next few years that much better. I am always striving to adapt and grow as a person, expand my horizons, and explore my limits. Cliché, but true. And most of the time, much easier said than done. For instance, as much as I would’ve loved to stay 19 forever, I know that it’s best to welcome this new phase of my life with open arms and take it on…despite how scary it is to no longer be a teenager! Life goes on. That being said, I thought there was no better way to take on this next chapter of my life than to start a blog. So here it is…my debut as a blogger!

Below I have shared some of the highlights of my summer up until my most recent highlight...you guessed it, the big two-O. Enjoy! 

Park City Summer June/July: 
From the 1st of June until the middle of July, I spent my time in Park City, Utah for strength and conditioning training. My physical testing at the end of the six week block proved the time to be extremely productive as I significantly improved in every area that we test - strength, force and power, symmetry, anaerobic capacity, and cardiovascular fitness. It's always a rewarding feeling when all of your time and energy pays off! Here's a look at some of my experiences from this part of my summer...
A beautiful sunset over the Great Salt Lake - a warm welcome to my summer in Utah after a long day of driving

Going heavy! A typical day training at the COE (Center of Excellence) 



Recovering on the spin bikes with my teammates after a long workout. Apparently they didn't get the memo to look tired and sweaty like me! 


Getting outside - hiking mountains with friends




Play time in the park - slack lining, music, and painting nails?




A quick trip to Telluride with my roommate/teammate Katie (pictured left) for some Bluegrass music! 



Getting our patriotism on for 4th of July - back in Park City




New Zealand July/August: 
From the middle of July until the middle of August, the Europa Cup and World Cup Women's tech team went to New Zealand for on-snow training. We had great weather and beautiful views, with some of the best sunrises and sunsets I've ever seen. The terrain was challenging and the snow was hard, which made for awesome training. I think the biggest perk to this camp however was training with the World Cup girls, one of whom is a World Champion in slalom. Being on the same programs as them not only elevated everyone's skiing but also made for a great group dynamic. We had a lot of fun! 

The view from the plane flying into Queenstown...endless snow-covered peaks! 


Happy to be back on snow with my teammates! 


After skiing adventuring with Resi


Hiking buddies 


The rainbow that caught my eye mid-slalom course 


New Zealand - land of the sunrise 




The sunsets aren't bad either! 


And neither are the views in general 


Moments before bungee jumping...we wore speed suits to minimize the drag haha! 


The start of my 8.5 second free fall (134 meters!)


At the start of one of the four races we did over there...one of which I won! 


Home/Park City September-October:
After New Zealand, I went home for a much needed week of R&R with my parents. While soaking up the tail-end of the summer sun, I saw a couple of the America's Cup races on the San Francisco Bay, spent a day at Stinson Beach, and spent a couple days in Squaw before heading back to Park City.
Now I am in Park City for my last strength and conditioning block before the ski season starts. The temps are dropping, the leaves are changing, and my pre-season butterflies are starting to fly! This is definitely one of my favorite times of the year. Take a look at what I've been up to the last few weeks...

The San Francisco Bay was buzzing during America's Cup


Getting some love from my mom at Stinson Beach


Hiking in Squaw with my parents 


Back in Park City...birthday hike with Katie!


Birthday dinner with some of my teammates...we made sushi!


By far the best birthday cake I've ever had thanks to my awesome teammates. It was a great start to my 20s! 

No comments:

Post a Comment